How to integrate with PayPal
IMPORTANT NOTE: This article refers to WP Ultimo version 1.x. If you are using version 2.x, see this article.
Just like Stripe, PayPal is widely used for online payments, especially on WordPress websites. This article will guide you on how to use PayPal as a payment method available on your network.
Note that you need to have a PayPal Business account to obtain the API credential needed for this integration.
Enabling PayPal on your network
To enable PayPal as an available payment method on your network to WP Ultimo > Settings > Payment & Gateways tab and tick the box next to PayPal.
Getting the PayPal API credentials
Once PayPal is enabled as a payment gateway, you will need to populate the fields for PayPal API Username, PayPal API Password and PayPal API Signature.
To request API Signature or Certificate credentials for your PayPal account:
- Go to your Account Settings.
- In the API access section, click Update.
- Under NVP/SOAP API integration (Classic), click Manage API credentials.
- If you have already generated an API Signature or Certificate, you will be redirected to a page where you can find your credentials.
- Note: If you are prompted to verify your PayPal account, then follow the on-screen instructions.
- Select one of the following options, then click Agree and Submit.
- Request API Signature – Select for API Signature authentication.
- Request API Certificate – Select for API Certificate authentication.
- PayPal generates your API credentials as follows:
- API Signature credentials include an API Username, API Password, and Signature, which does not expire. These values are hidden by default for added security. Click Show/Hide to toggle them on and off. When finished, click Done.
- API Certificate credentials include an API Username, API Password, and Certificate, which expires automatically after three years. Click Download Certificate to save the API Certificate to your desktop.
Setting up webhook or IPN listener
Webhooks are responsible of notifying WP Ultimo of payment activities so that status of user's subscription will be updated accordingly.
WP Ultimo automatically generates an Endpoint that you can use as your PayPal notification URL. Copy the URL and click the link for you to easily get to PayPal IPN settings page.
After clicking Go to your PayPal settings → , it will redirect you to Instant Payment Notification (IPN) page. Scroll down and click Choose IPN Settings button.
The next page will ask you to enter the Notification URL. You can paste the URL provided from your WP Ultimo PayPal gateway page. Select Receive IPN messages (Enabled) option and hit Save.
That's it, your PayPal payment integration is complete!
If you have any questions regarding PayPal settings, you can refer to PayPal's Help Center.